Monday, January 21, 2013

Today turned out far better than expected.  It's never good when Leah gets up early. 5AM in the dark...And then she got dressed without putting our collars on.  We are not allowed to go out naked.  Leah is very strict about this.  She says I will slip under the fence and be unidentified and unrecognizable in the ditch without my collar.  This is a major paranoia of hers.  I see no reason why I should end up in the ditch, but Leah is convinced that is the most probable outcome if we are let out in the nude.  So if she gets dressed, and we don't, its a safe bet we are being left.  And this is terrifying. Because there is no way of knowing when the human will return.  She makes lots of promises but her plans often change and we are never notified. Of course Leah like all other humans believes that we are forlorn in her absence out of some overdeveloped attachment to her emotionally.  This is not the case at all.  We are only terrified and concerned because the absence of humans means the absence of food.  After all we are only fed two meals a day with snacks in between.  If Leah leaves us, there are no in-between snacks. This is not so bad for an hour or two, but when Leah leaves early in the morning we could be without snacks for Endless HOURS....She can't leave us any snacks because Nessa is bulimic,  she binges on the snacks and then she vomits (usually behind a doorway where no one is likely to find it for awhile.)  So I took up a place on one of the sofa throw pillows and waited.  Forlorn from lack of food. Leah promised to be home early.  She claimed it was too cold for us to be waiting in the car all morning and promised to be home before lunch.  These things rarely come true but today something truly miraculous happened!  Leah returned home not only before lunch, but she came into the house carrying a small bowl of bacon.   Yes folks....you heard right....B- A- C- O- N.  Crunchy, salty, meaty wonderful bacon!  I firmly believe in extending the forlorness upon the human's return so as to make them feel important, but in this instant it was impossible!  How can anyone be forlorn in the presence of bacon.  It is delectable.  Nessarose of course went bug-eyed wild. We were taken out in the sunshine for a lengthy frolic punctuated with all of the bacon morsels from the bowl.  I had to show some small degree of forlorness when it was explained that the bacon had come from Sir Scott. ( Sir Scott is the food truck guy.  He is at all of our farm horse shows and I am usually assigned to his stand for security purposes.  Sir Scott says this keeps the other hounds away.  He pays me handsomely in bacon for my services.)Of course I was a bit miffed to hear that I had missed an opportunity to work with Scott, but my miffedness melted with the bacon in my mouth. It seems I displayed my displeasure just enough since Leah still sat on the big dog bed with me and stroked my ears, all the while saying what a "poor little forlornling" I was.  Suits me just fine.  I stayed in bed the rest of the day, until we went home to watch football.

No comments:

Post a Comment