Monday, January 14, 2013

Well here I am again. I'd about given up on this blogging thing, and I realize I owe an explanation to those hardy few who've held out these last few years.  I had pretty nearly decided to give up on my writing career....too many failed attempts and no contacts in publishing...it seemed like a lost cause.  However, it recently being brought to my attention that some of you out there seem to enjoy the meanderings of my terrier mind... I thought I would give it another try.  *disclaimer:* expect considerably less enthusiasm- the inevitable result of broken hearts, financial distress, and of course the unstoppable effects of aging.  Cynicism  being the only logical conclusion I challenge all of you out there to try renewing my optimism. Not likely as there was precious little of it to begin with.
I begin with a brief summation of the past 3 years: Ed left us.  I guess he didn't throw us out in the street, but we had to leave. Myself, Leah, and Nessa, and all the horses.  And Leah made it very clear we wouldn't be coming back. No more early morning pond swims.  No more dragon hunting in the yard.  There were a lot of tears. Leah refused to continue taking dictation and when she wasn't working she was mostly in bed with red eyes.
And then Ithilien failed.  No Ed.  No home. No job.  We fell on hard times.  Leah started selling everything!  There was no money.  We were forced to eat plain kibble.  No cheese, no meat....Leah ate kibble.  Revel was forced to get a job. He lost his health insurance and all his retirement benefits.  Leah said he had to become a seeing eye dog, so that half blind half rabid amateurs could pretend they know how to ride, and would pay him for his help.  He was sent away to try and make his fortune.  He sends money home whenever he can, but it has never been much.  Of course he's getting older too.  Turns out though, he's pretty good at being a seeing eye dog.
So Leah took a job working for other horsey people and we relocated to the planet New Jersey. Leah said New Jersey is dirty, and full of bad drivers, but I like it here.  Of course Leah and I define "dirty" differently and I don't drive....
The days of Venison Jerky and lounging on the porch had come to an end.  Then there was Robbie and his dog Coolige.  Followed by the strange policeman who never did figure out how to pick me up the right way, but he did make delicious food.  And Leah sold the truck and trailer!  Now she has a fancy car and Nessarose and I are only allowed in it when we are clean or swaddled.
Working for other horsey people has its ups and downs.  Mostly downs since I don't have my own farmette to frolic on daily anymore.  Especially following the "cat incident."  Another one of Nessarose's major blunders, for which I am still paying the price. I'll tell that story another time. We live under a sort of house arrest, but Leah lets us frolic as much as she can. On sunny days I bask in the sun on the back porch and its almost like being on the porch at Ed's surveying my terrierdom.  We're back to having cheese and meat with our kibble.  So life goes on.  Revel wrote home to say he's getting a big promotion soon.  But Leah adopted a new sister for us.  Another horse.  Sombra. She doesn't know how to do any work yet. She's quite beautiful, so I figure if we get into trouble again I'll just pimp her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment