Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Doe Deer

It seems my complaints of melting snow and no winter were premature, since mother nature has decided to really sock it to us.  The ground has been snow covered and the temperatures well below freezing for almost a month now. The snow is now taller than me, though it has a thick coating of ice allowing both Nessarose and myself to skid freely across the surface. I was nervous of that at first- since falling through the crusty ice is sharp and painful.  However the persistent cold seems to have set the ice like a frozen lake and we can "skate" across confidently.
Most importantly a Doe Deer has invaded the backyard. She gets in through the hole in our pool fence and has been helping herself to the shrubs along the back porch.  Needless to say this is a declaration of war. Leah and Nessarose both advocate a truce. I refuse any talk of compromise.  This Doe Deer simply must leave and never come back.  I have taken up an exhausting, unwavering vigil.  When the others run indoors out of the cold and snow I stand watch on the back porch, ready to chase this trespasser off!  I only turn indoors when summoned for food and sleep, and most necessary canoodling.  My efforts paid off as there have been no deer tracks or poo for days ( disappointing for Nessarose who seems to be a big fan of the frozen poosicles.) Unfortunately my blogging has suffered since my energies were consumed elsewhere in the midst of this crisis. I admit some slight disappointment that this Doe Deer has failed to give battle.  I can only think that my terrifying baying, and constant vigilance frightened her off. Well, I have done my duty.
Now I can turn my thoughts to more intellectual pursuits, and matters of greater consequence.  For example: framing Nessarose for destroying the bathroom garbage,  do all dogs really go to heaven?  is it best to lick one's feet clean or merely to suck them?
Ed was here to visit us again.  He feeds many more  treats then Leah, and is generally more fun to lounge about with.  Though he is not much for canoodling.  But we have excellent conversations about all manner of man-business.  He is much easier to talk to as he speaks Scotty fluently, so there is no need to translate to English.  I have tried to teach Leah my language but she finds the sound of it annoying so I have given up and accepted that I have to use English.  I know that she is very jealous when Ed and I speak in front of her, as she can't understand, so I mostly talk to Ed when she is not looking.
Progress is steady as to the arrival of my new niece/ nephew.  I suggested that they cook the thing faster, but Leah says this is not possible and I will just have to wait until August.
On a happy note my Scottish cousin MacDonwold will be arriving in less than two weeks.  He will speak my language naturally and we will certainly be good friends, as long as  he doesn't pounce on my head.  I hate it when puppies pounce on my head, and I will bite him if he does it. I don't care if he's family. I don't have to be nice to dogs that pounce on my head.
It is cozy in the house on the sofa.  Nessarose is upside down on the armchair.  I am to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment